Monday, June 29, 2009

A Busy Season Full of Joy and Tears...

Summer has been busy and lots is going on! I keep meaning to post pictures from my trip to Chicago and from the 3 weddings that took place in June alone! I promise I will do this soon...let's say before the week is over. Fair enough?

This morning however, was a difficult one. On Wednesday last week, news quickly spread that one of our pastor's at The Well and his wife, lost their 4 month year old son. Little Tyler Rumley died on Wednesday afternoon and the memorial service was held this morning. I can't sit here and say that I knew this family super well. I mean I had met and talked to both Jen and Jerrod at various times, but I wouldn't say by any means that I was close to them. And to be honest, I was surprised at how hard the memorial service was for me today. Although we weren't close, being at a memorial service this morning for a 4 month year old little guy was really hard. Harder then I thought. I cried much more then I thought I would. I've been told that one of my gifts/strengths is empathy, and that is exactly what I felt today for this family.

Granted I don't have any children of my own so I cannot even begin to imagine what it feels like to lose a child. I'm told it is a pain like no other and one that sinks deep down into one's soul. The memorial service was beautiful and although there were lots of tears, there was also an immense amount of hope knowing with full assurance in our faith in Jesus that Tyler is now in a better place. A much better place.

I deeply admired the family's approach to the situation and the way they pointed everything back to Jesus and the hope we have in Him and Him alone during this difficult time. My heart is still heavy today as I think about what the Rumley family is going through.

As a church family we were reminded yesterday in church through a study in Daniel that God is still God even when deeply painful and difficult times hit. I know there are many people grieving today, and as those whose hope is in Jesus, we do not grieve as those who have no hope.

If you remember, say a prayer for this family. The road they are walking will be a very long one. More information can be found on The Rumley's blog.

No comments: