Wednesday, July 9, 2008

"Sweet Home Alabama..." I mean Fresno...

Home, sweet home. Got back from D.C./New York this evening. On the flight home I was thinking about what things I would blog about from my time in D.C./New York such as...what things I learned...what things I saw...what things puzzled me...what things made me think...and what things encouraged me...

There is a lot. So slowly but surely I'll post some thoughts and pictures (and MAYBE a video or two...) For now, here are a few things that have been running through my mind as I traveled about...

1. I would not have a gym membership if I lived in D.C. Walking alone was enough to kick my butt on some days.

2. Traveling shouldn't be looked at as a luxury but rather a necessity to better understand oneself and the people and places in the world around us.

3. Fresno needs some kind of railway public transit system! The metro system in D.C. is phenomenal. And the benefits of having such a system are plentiful.

4. I do not like humidity. I would take the dry heat any day over humidity. Hands down.

5. There are a lot of people who are attractive and educated who live in D.C... That's all I'm going to say about that... :)

6. History comes alive when you get to see and experience the things that were taught in U.S. history class.

7. You eat a lot when on vacation and I'm okay with that.

8. Coming home was a bit strange for me. I don't know why, but for whatever reason, it was.

9. One should not try to jump onto the metro as the doors are shutting and the woman's automated voice has said: "Step back the doors are closing" The doors are not on censors and will close ON you! Right D?

10. Because of this trip and the opportunity I have to travel. I am reminded, once again, of how truly blessed I am.

2 comments:

Derek said...

All very true statements. And when the lady says the doors are closing, she's not messing around! Take it from someone who knows first hand people! Haha. Such an amazing trip! So much to reflect on. PTL for vacations!

Dakota House said...

so great reading about your trip.

i love manhattan... especially the east village.

and i agree: fresno needs a rapid transit system. it's totally the way to go.

welcome home.

LY