Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Trans Fat Fast...

Trans fat...it is so, so bad for you. And it's in foods that you wouldn't even think. The nutrition label on a product my say "0 grams of trans fat" however if one of the ingredients on the list is "partially hydrogenated oil" that is code for "trans fat"--it's the same thing.

Our good friend Wikipedia tells us this about trans fat:

"Unlike other dietary fats, trans fats are neither required nor beneficial for health.[1] Eating trans fats increases the risk of coronary heart disease. Health authorities worldwide recommend that consumption of trans fat be reduced to trace amounts. Trans fats from partially hydrogenated oils are generally considered to be more of a health risk than those occurring naturally."

So why is it used?:

"These more saturated fats have a higher melting point making them attractive for baking, and extending their shelf-life. Partially hydrogenated oils have been used in food for many reasons. Partial hydrogenation increases product shelf life and decreases refrigeration requirements. Because baking requires semi-solid fats to suspend solids at room temperature, partially hydrogenated oils can replace the animal fats traditionally used by bakers (such as butter).

So in light of knowing how bad trans fat is for me and how it can be hiding in so many different foods, I'm going on a "trans fat fast" for a week to see if I can do it. It may not sound that hard, but you'd be surprised at all of the places you'll find this "partially hydrogenated oil".

Who's with me???

2 comments:

Derek said...

Would love to join you but it doesn't sound so fun. I'm on the eat bad and die young diet. JK JK!

Just a sidenote...I checked my bad of cookies yesterday to make sure it didn't have trans fat and you would be proud, it didn't! Haha.

Mad love!

Dakota House said...

um...just tell me if I have to give up cheese.