Monday, June 11, 2007

"We're in an open relationship..."

So I was at the gym tonight and I picked up the latest edition of Glamour magazine to peruse through while on the elliptical during my cool down. While flipping through the pages, I came across an article entitled: "The Secret Sex Lives of American Couples".

Now this post may seem odd for some of you, but as I read a portion of the article I was left almost speechless...and my heart hurt. Talk about examining our societal values on sex and intimacy.

Here is an excerpt from the article talking about one couple's relationship:

"We're in an open relationship. When we met we'd both just gotten out of long relationships. We wanted to be together but have freedom, too. He has lots of 'friends with benefits' and I have one consistent outside relationship and lots of dates. Our rules: safe sex always. If we go together, we leave together. And don't date people who want to get serious. And tell each other everything. You have to be more attentive in an open relationship. If you take each other for granted, insecurities seep in. Sometimes I get jealous but it doesn't last. There aren't really any cons to our arrangement. It's all good."

Now if this doesn't explain something about our society's view on sex and dating, then I don't know what would. It's a good thing they've been in a long term relationship with one another...for a whole eight months, otherwise I'd be worried... hmmm...

It's no wonder the average age men lose their virginity at is 16 and for women it's 17.

I have to say this article hurt my heart.

No comments: