Thursday, May 17, 2007

I Should Have Worn Waterproof Mascara...

Today I attended a funeral for a dear friend's grandmother. This dear friend, Jamie, is a tad older than me, as she is in her 50's, but is she honestly one of the most beautiful and God fearing women I have ever met. She and her family have been a HUGE blessing and encouragement to me over the years. This funeral was for her grandmother, who was 94 years old when she left this life to be with Jesus.

A few personal observations from the funeral:

1. Jamie's grandmother, Hazel, knew how to love. She was married to the same man, John, for 76 years. That's longer than some people even live. They married when they were just 18 and were serious when they took the vow "till death do us part". She had 3 children, 10 grandchildren, 25 great-grandchildren and 3 great-great grandchildren--all whom know and love the Lord.

2. Funerals can be very sad--but this one was truly a celebration of life. She loved deeply, gave lots of hugs and kisses and was faithful to her family and the Lord--and could cook some amazing Italian food. I met Hazel a number of times, and every time I saw her she would always give me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Her daughter and the four of her granddaugthers that I know radiate the love and beauty she possesed.

3. Inner beauty will always outweigh outer beauty. Even though her daughter and granddaughters and great-granddaughters are GORGEOUS, they posses something much deeper that shines through them and exemplifies the love of Jesus. It was a beautiful (and much needed) reminder for me.

4. It is one of life's greatest blessings to have people who know you--and love you. This family knows me and Jen and loves us. Many of them can speak into my life in ways that very few can. Today at the funeral, I was talking to the 7th of the 9 grandchildren, Jenifer, who watched me and Jen grow up at church, and she spoke into my life in such a powerful way--clearly she had words form the Lord that I needed to hear. She, like her three sisters amaze me with their love for people and joy in the Lord.

5. I am blessed to know women who truly know and love Christ and desire to follow him. I want to be mothers and wives like them when that season of my life comes about. What a blessing to have that example in my life now while I am young.

Thank you, Jesus.

This family makes me want to have a big family--lots of hugs and love to go around for everyone. This whole family is Italian, so of course there was wine at each table at the reception. So good and so pure.

Hazel is with the Lord now, and although she physically left her home on earth, the impact she had on her family and so many others will be remembered and felt forever.

Today was surley a day I should have worn water-proof mascara.

And in all things we are reminded:
"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and the heart of man cannot imagine what God has prepared for those who love Him."
--1 Corinthians 2:9--

1 comment:

Jen Anderson said...

my heart hurts that i couldn't be there...

my soul really would have benefited from it.

love you.