Friday, July 14, 2006

Insight From Oswald Chambers

"All God’s revelations are sealed to us until they are opened to us by obedience. You will never get them open by philosophy or thinking. Immediately you obey, a flash of light comes. Let God’s truth work in you by soaking in it, not by worrying into it. Obey God in the thing He is at present showing you, and instantly the next thing is opened up. We read tomes on the work of the Holy Spirit when... five minutes of drastic obedience would make things clear as a sunbeam. We say, "I suppose I shall understand these things some day." You can understand them now: it is not study that does it, but obedience. The tiniest fragment of obedience, and heaven opens up and the profoundest truths of God are yours straight away. God will never reveal more truth about Himself till you obey what you know already..." Oswald Chambers

I am so good at not listening. Not listening to God that is. I feel I'm pretty good at listening to other people, but when it comes to listening to God I often find myself with my own ideas of how I want things done and therefore don't really need to listen. Kind of like when you buy a table that you need to assemble and you think you know just how to do it, therefore you don't need to read the instructions. But then at the end you're left with a lopsided table and bout 14 extra screws and you think..."Where did I go wrong?" I believe it's our human nature that so badly wants to do things on our own and be independent. If we have to be dependent on anything we're considered weak. "All you women who independent throw your hands up at me..." A little Destiny's Child for all ya'll out there. But it's true. Being independent is deemed a "good" thing when really we're called to be dependent upon God and God alone. Mr. Chambers is one smart man as he says, "Let God's truth work in you by soaking in it, not by worrying into it." Ding ding ding ding ding (imagine winning a toy at the fair...that's what this dinging is supposed to sound like) but I'm so good at "worrying into it". I pray that I will be obedient to God's call and take advantage of the opportunities and expereinces He has in store for me. There is no better place to be than in the arms of the Savior...and that's right where I want to be.

No comments: