Friday, July 14, 2006

The Long Anticipated Phone Call...


I received a phone call about a hour ago from the executive director of the job I had applied for in San Francisco. I had an interview up there three weeks ago and have been waiting with anticipation to hear back ever sense. And so, did I get the job...? Well...keep reading...

I answered the phone and he identified himself and that he was calling to talk to me about their decision they made regarding my canidacy for the position. I knew it was all down hill when he said, "Although you were an outstanding candidate..." and you can imagine where it went from there. So basically, no, I did not get the job. Though this man is honestly one of the nicest, wisest and gentle hearted men I have ever met (and I only spent two days with him) he assured me that their decision to hire the other candidate was due to something completely out of my control, that being that I was not an alum of the program or their university. He was so sweet as he talked, and though while I was on the phone with him a few tears did run down my cheek, I knew it wasn't an easy dicision for him to make. He offered to be a reference for me in the future and asked if I was ever in San Francisco to please stop by and say hello. I graciously thanked him for his kind words and for calling me to let me know. I hung up the phone and cried. I'm not one that cries a whole lot, but I did cry this time. Not because I was heart broken about not getting the job, but I think it was more an accumulation of a lot of other feelings all built up and let out at that moment. I mean within the span of a five minute phone conversation, my life took on a new direction. I will now (most likely unless God has something else in store) be in Fresno for a while and will be sustitute teaching this fall. Teaching is a ministry all in itself, so I'm looking forward to that, but never the less, my heart was a little hurt by not getting the job. I know full well that God has other things in store for me and I am surely excited about future opportunities with different people and in different places. So in some ways, I'm back to square one. But I know this on-going job searching/interviewing process I've endured over the past six months has made me all the better in the long run. And it seems it has been a "long run" and I'm still running. Good thing I have a close connection with the man who has the directions. PTL. Delicious ambiguity, it's what life is all about...right?

No comments: