Wednesday, December 27, 2006

"I'm Pro Honesty..."

I read this on another friend's blog and began pondering it myself. I see it as full of truth, and it really got me thinking.

What's our role as Christians in holding others accountable for their sin? Not casting judgement upon them (God is surely capable of handling that on His own--he doesn't need my help), but calling out those we love when there is evident sin in their life.

I know when there are sin issues in my life I need to be called on them--and I have been. And at the time I don't like it--because I feel guilty or ashamed and seem to always try and defend myself--but I need it. And it helps to refine my character and relationship with my Heavenly Father.

So this is what I read and am pondering... (Most of this was in response to the Ted Haggard situation, but I see truth in it beyond that one instance).

1. Christians, and not just pastors, do not feel free to disclose sins to anyone.

2. Christians, including pastors, sin and sin all the time.

3. Christians, including pastors, in evangelicalism do not have a mechanism of confession.

4. Christians and pastors, because of the environment of condemnation of sin and the absence of a mechanism of confession, bottle up their sins, hide their sins, and create around themselves an apparent purity and a reality of unconfessed/unadmitted sin.

5. When Christians do confess, and it is often only after getting caught, they are eaten alive by fellow evangelicals — thus leading some to deeper levels of secrecy and deceit.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Derek said...

Interesting post to ponder. I agree that often we don't admit sin unless we are called out on it. I am finding accountability is key because there are people there to call you out when you screw up. Ultimately it helps you learn to share more opening when you do sin. We all do it, so why are we so scared to openly admit it? And one thing I know is we can't hide it from God no matter how hard we try! Good blog BK!