Tuesday, December 12, 2006


See I told you to stay tuned...

Random thought I had. Go with me here...

Today I was talking with a friend and somehow the conversation of ex-boyfriends came up. And I came to the conclusion that I really don't like the term "ex-boyfriend". The term seems to have such a negative conotation and it makes many people cringe as they remember hurt and pain from past relationships.

Then I got to thinking, what other word could you use to describe someone you used to date but no longer are. There is always the safe route and just refer to them as "friend" (that is if they still are your friend--I've been blessed and in my pervious relationships we've always come out as friends). But then does "friend" really adequately describe what once was? Then there is always the option of saying, "This guy I used to date..." but then that too doesn't seem right--doesn't do the relationship justice.

And really the technicality of what you call someone you once dated doesn't really matter--it's just that the term "ex" seems harsh and unfriendly. In many cases the term "ex" is appropriate because the relationship that once was did not end well. Not so in my case--I don't want to use "ex". When talking about someone I used to date I prefer to say "My friend ___________ that I dated for a while..." That may just cause more confusion, but it's a lot more friendly feeling then saying "ex-boyfriend".

Are you still with me? Our society does dating so wrong and people end up so hurt and broken--never wanting to be in a relationship again. It doesn't have to be that way--and I've been blessed to experience the right way of doing things. Not necessarily the hurt free way of doing things, because I think anytime you invest in something and it doesn't work out, there is an element of sadness/hurt, but it doesn't have to end with such deep rooted pain.

These are just my thoughts...all jumbled and kind of random, but I hope it gives someone something to chew on.

No comments: