Friday, June 6, 2008

Race For The Cure

Saturday, October 25, 2008. Put it on your calendar now and plan to join me (and Jen :) there!

Four years ago I started attending this event because I started realizing how many women are impacted by this disease and I wanted to do my part to help.

My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1998. She was able to combat it through treatments of radiation and is now a breast cancer survivor.

My dad's best friend's wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and she was able to receive treatment. However, a few years later the cancer reappeared and took an aggressive approach. Sadly, she lost her battle with breast cancer and passed away 5 years ago.

Jen's mom was also diagnosed with breast cancer in 2006 and she is also now a strong survivor. That was one of the hardest conversations to have with Jen--not because it was hard to talk about, but because it didn't seem real. I can still remember that phone conversation...

1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer at some point in their life and it is the 2nd most common type of cancer and the 5th most common of cancer death. (Thank you Wikipedia).

All that to say, someone you know will probably battle this cancer at some point in their life (and it's not gender biased--men can develop it too). Race for the Cure is a small way to make a big difference in helping to find a cure through breast cancer research.

Come join me on October 25th at Fresno State! It really is a lot of fun--and you get a ton of cool free stuff!

1 comment:

Jen Anderson said...

i didn't know the beauty and strength these women had until my own mom went through it.

to watch these survivors walk across the stage is one of the most powerful things, i'll ever witness in my life.

come, join, laugh, and celebrate life with us.

xo.