Sunday, February 4, 2007

Sex

Ha...I bet when you read the title, it really sparked your interest. It's okay, keep reading...

On Saturday I took about 30 college ladies to a Biblical Sexuality seminar at Fresno State. Brad Bell the pastor of The Well Community Church went through a four part series on the Song of Solomon. Now, I had heard this series twice before, the first time being about 5 years ago. Brad is a dynamic speaker and has a very modern and influential way of teaching and speaking biblical truth in love.

I don't think there was one person there who regreted going. Brad walked through Biblical Sexuality in four parts: Meeting, Dating, Courting, and The Honeymoon Night. I think the truth that hit home the hardest for many people there was the fact that so many of us do dating wrong and set ourselves up for failure.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that no body enters into a relationship, let alone a marriage hoping it will fail or end up in divorce someday down the line. But the reality is, by the time a person's wedding day comes, they will most likely have already been emotionally married and divorced mulitiple times. We meet, date, get physically or emotionally involved and after a while when we're bored or just figure out we don't really like the other person as much as we thought, we move on. And do it again and again and again... Ouch.

I know there are a TON of views on how dating should and shouldn't be done--which is why my ultimate goal for the day was to simply open the eyes of many of the girls to see that there are better ways to navigate through the waters of dating far beyond what our world offers to us.

I was able to treat them to dinner as Old Spaghetti Factory during the dinner break. Good food and good conversation flowed.

I too, was reminded of a few things that God gently placed on my heart to think about. I was convicted in a few areas and am reminded daily of God's pure desire to protect his children from the dangers of the world--though we are the one's who make the choices to open those doors or keep them shut. Go with me here...I think many would agree that sometimes those doors are so tempting to open. But then again, there is a reason why God didn't lock those doors up--but rather we are free to open them if we so choose...

Brad also reminded everyone that ALL of us are broken people living in a broken world and we ALL are in need of God's grace EVERYDAY that he offers freely to us.

Say it with me...PTL!

2 comments:

Jen Anderson said...

Boys
+
Relationships
+
"Hanging Out"
+
Marraige =

not interested, and way too much for my brain to process.

Derek said...

oh j.Lo...that girls comments crack-a-me-up!!!

Girls
+
Time
+
Emotions
+
Frustration
=
too much for my brain to process!