Thursday, February 1, 2007

Wisdom From a Starbuck's Cup


I go to Starbucks every Tuesday morning with one of my RA's. It's a beautiful thing to have a latte and start off the day with some good converstaion. I don't usually read the quotes on the cups which are called "The Way I See It..." but for some reason this week I decided too and I pondered what I read.

The Way I See It # 182

"In my career I've found that "thinking ourside the box" works better if I know what's "inside the box." In music (as in life) we need to understand our pertinent history...and moving on is so much easier once we know where we've been." --Dave Grusin - Award-winning composer and jazz musician.


So basically I interpreted this as, you need to understand your past and the things/issues/hurts and pains that are behind you, so that you can better understand things that come before you.

I'm not one who thinks we should dwell on our past. And there comes a point where you can't really blame your past for your actions--I think it's important to have an understanding of how your past has shaped you or predisposed you to certain things, but there comes a point in life when understanding and ownership must merge together and we start to look ahead and not behind.

I am a firm believer that our past shapes who you are but it does not have to define who you are. Big difference there.

No comments: