Monday, January 15, 2007

Celebrate Diversity!


Tonight was the 6th annual Celebrate Diversity dinner at my parents house. I have not laughed as hard as I did tonight in a very, very long time. To the right you can see a picture of those who attended the celebration this evening: My dad, mom, me and Jen (this pic was taken at Jen's 21st bday bash).

Celebrate Diversity started 6 years ago when Jen and I were seniors in high school. Jen was living with my family and me at the time and on the Monday we had off from school for MLK day, Jen decided to make dinner. One thing led to another and soon it morphed into this annual dinner where my parents, Jen and myself (and in years past we had a few special guests) eat, talk, laugh and celebrate togehter.

For some this might sound really really strange--and I understand and that's okay. Because honestly I can't even tell you why this annual Celebrate Diversity dinner started--but I'm sure glad it did. I don't think I can adequately explain the festivities all with words, it just something you have to experience. We talk about positive ways we've encountered diversity over the years and share stories of all kinds.

Tonight we had lasagna (which is a staple at every celebrate diversity dinner) Editors Note: last year my mom burned the lasagna so we had to order in Italian food instead---nonetheless it was still a great time).
But tonight we had homemade lasagana with bread and salad and cake for dessert!

We talked about what it will be like when Jen and I are both get married and how our husbands respond to the annual celebration. They will have to embrace it, because they really won't have a choice. When you marry someone, you take them for who they are and I think J.lo would agree that Celebrate Diversity is a part of us :)

After dinner we sat around the fire in the living room and sang some songs (no joke) such as "Jesus Love the Little Children", "Shine Jesus Shine", "Your a Grand Old Flag", "The National Anthem" and "Kumbaya". It sounds really cheesy--but trust me it wasn't--it was great and we had soooo much fun. In years past we had a dance party where Jen and I would teach my mom a few moves and she would teach us how to shake it old school style.

I love the way my dad looks at us as he debates whether or not to join in (but he always does) but his facial expressions are priceless.

Another great year and another great dinner and evening celebrating diversity. In 4 years it will be Celebrate Diversity's 10th anniversary--look out America, that will be one big bash!

No comments: