Sunday, January 7, 2007

There Is a First For Everything...



This weekend was my first experience driving in the snow (and on ice) and the first time I had to put chains on a vehicle. Now, though it was freezing and snowing and I had NO IDEA how in the heck to put chains on a car, I along with a few other people, figured it out and were able to continue on our way. Here is what I learned from this experience...

1. When buying chains for a vehicle, make sure they are the right size for your tires. No, not all car tires (or snow chains) are created equal.

2. Wear gloves when in the snow and trying to handle metal in the FREEZING cold. Your hands will thank you and it will save a few choice words from coming out of your mouth.

3. Make sure your chains come with bungee cords to help secure them in place--if they don't (like one set of chains we had) you will have to be REALLY creative in finding a way to keep them on.

4. Stay calm and smile. When you're nervous, your face will show it and when your face shows it, others also become nervous.

5. Snow sucks. I take that back. Snow can be very pretty, however, it is much prettier when you are sitting inside by a warm fire and are looking at it outside through a window. It is not so pretty when you are having to lay on the road in the snow on your side to hook the chain behind the inside of the tire.

6. It's often said that every woman should know how to change a tire and I would venture to say every woman should also know how to put chains on her vehicle. You never know when you just might need to know how to do it...

PTL I live in a snow-free city. I will take the heat over the snow any day.

No comments: